Over the weekend find information on who you will invite to your dinner party on Monday.
Here are the important slides from Thursday and Friday:
What you’ll need to have for Monday is this information filled out about a person:
Tonight, make sure you do some outside research on Godzilla. Watch some clips, do some reading about its background and time period, and come to class tomorrow knowing a little more about Godzilla than you do today.
Here are the four thesis statements your groups came up with in class today:
As you read “Frankenstein,” “Dracula” or “Picture of Dorian Grey,” look for evidence of your monster “proving” a claim made in these thesis statements.
See the post below for more info, but this will be your last work over the summer for APSEM.
Assignment #3: Skill check – How Does Soccer Explain China? (Due August 24)
1) Print out the four perspectives on China’s lack of World Cup soccer success, despite the sport’s popularity in the country and its recent hosting of a World Cup: https://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/where-are-chinas-soccer-stars/?_r=0.
2) Annotate the four sources in any manner you’d like. You can use a resource like 12 Ways to Markup a Book to help you figure out how to do this.
3) Evaluate the ideas in the sources to understand why China, with such a thirst for soccer, isn’t producing quality soccer itself.
Basically, just like you did in your response for assignment #1, your last piece of written summer work is to answer the question “How does soccer explain China?” Instead of posting this on the blog, please email it to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, August 24 and bring a hard copy of it to class on the first day of school. Like your last assignment, this should be about 600 to 750 words, with evidence from the text.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Great job on your summer work so far – your writing and responses to our book were really fun for me to read! I don’t know how much longer we’ll talk about the book once the class starts (I have my AP training next week, so I’ll know more after that) but I can tell that this book, and your thinking about it, definitely has us on the right track.
Word might’ve gotten around that the terms of the summer work has changed. Initially, I had planned for four assignments: the response to the book, the comments on your classmates’ responses, How Soccer Explains China and then your own How _________ explains ___________ essay.
Instead, I’d like you to skip the How __________ Explains ____________ essay. It might be something we revisit later in the year, but for now I want us to keep working on our analyzing and synthesizing skills.
(Note, please email me if you’ve already started your How _________ Explains ___________ essay. If you have, and you want to finish it, then do that instead of the Soccer and China assignment.)
I’ll post the info for assignment #3 in a separate post.
Post your response to Franklin Foer’s How Soccer Explains the World as a comment below. To review the assignment, look at the post below. Make sure you leave your real name as the poster of the comment.
Great writing, everyone – your responses to the book really impressed me! Don’t forget to leave a comment/response to two of your classmate’s essays by the 23rd.
Hello AP Seminar! (From hereon referred to as APSEM!)
I hope everyone is having themselves a relaxing and enjoyable summer!
Your first summer assignment is due on July 20, and you’ll be posting it in the comments section below this blog post. To do that, just click on “LEAVE A COMMENT” just under the title of this post.
I’ll do this assignment too, and have mine posted on here within the next few days. Feel free to use it as an example or model for you own, or not. Whatever’s best for you. As always, please feel free to email me with any questions: email@example.com.
Here is assignment #1, in case you don’t have the sheet I handed out at the end of last year handy:
Assignment #1: How Soccer Explains the World (Due July 20)
1) Pick a chapter of How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization to discuss in depth. It could be the one that you found the most interesting, or that most supported Foer’s thesis/argument about how soccer explains the world, or that you think didn’t do such a good job of supporting his thesis/argument.
2) Explain, with evidence from the book, which of those eight lenses (listed below) Foer used in that chapter to examine soccer’s role in shaping a particular region of the world, and does the evidence from those lenses support his larger argument? Come to some kind of conclusion about whether or not the chapter succeeds in addressing Foer’s larger idea that soccer can explain the world, or at least a region in it.
The eight lenses:
This should be between 500 and 750 words. Make sure to incorporate plenty of evidence from the text.
Assignment #2 is due three days later. To do this, just click on the “REPLY” button below the comment you want to respond to. Here’s a pic of what it looks like:
Assignment #2: Responding to your classmates’ ideas (Due July 23)
Choose two of your classmates’ comments (or Mr. Shulkin’s) on a chapter different than the one you originally wrote about, and respond to their critiques of Foer’s book. Do you agree with their praise or criticism? Add evidence from the book to explain your agreements/disagreements. Your response should be about half the length of the original post.