Today we will discuss how to write an introduction for your paper. There are a couple important points that you need to keep in mind:
- Indent the first sentence (half an inch from the left margin)
- Your introduction should introduce the general topic to your readers and hook them so they want to read more.
- Is there any information you feel needs to be clarified? (Historical background, a central concept to your paper?) Give factual information that you will expand on in your main part.
- Be creative when you introduce the topic. Ask questions that get your readers thinking; provide an interesting phrase or quote that relates to the paper; tell a story or recount and event.
- Keep your introduction as short and concise as possible. About 1/2 – 3/4 of a page for a 5-7 page essay.
- Your paper should be 12-point Times New Roman type, double-spaced. Only one space after periods and other punctuation marks and margins are one inch on each side.
Example Research Paper: